Thursday, October 11, 2018

Energy assistance now available

Customers now can apply for energy assistance for the upcoming heating season.

It is simple to make an appointment to apply for energy assistance. Visit the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) website at or call 866-432-8947.

Milwaukee County residents can apply for assistance in person at Community Advocates or United Migrant Opportunity Services (UMOS). Visit or call 414-270-4653 for more information.

WHEAP provides qualified residents with a one-time grant to help pay energy bills. Qualification is based on income level, not on whether someone is behind on paying their energy bills.

Households with income at or below 60% of the Wisconsin state median income may be eligible for WHEAP. For example, a family of four that earns up to $52,846 per year may qualify.

Applicants must provide:
  • Photo ID for applicant including name and address. 
  • Proof of income for all household members for previous three months. 
  • Social Security numbers and birthdates for everyone in the household. 
  • Current energy bill or account number. 
  • Phone number of landlord and rent certificate or statement (if applicant is a renter and heat is included in rent or a separate payment is made to the landlord). 
  • The prior year’s entire tax package for seasonal employees and self-employed persons. Rental income must be verified by taxes and Schedule E. 

WHEAP provides assistance to more than 200,000 Wisconsin families annually.

Customers with questions about their energy bills or payment options should call our payment assistance line at 800-842-4565.

No comments: