Applying for energy assistance has never been easier. Visit the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) website at homeenergyplus.wi.gov or call 866-432-8947.
Milwaukee County residents can apply for assistance in person at Community Advocates or United Migrant Opportunity Services (UMOS). Visit energyassistancemke.org or call 414-270-4653 for more information.
More families may qualify for aid this year due to changes in income eligibility. For example, an individual who earns $26,174 per year or less may qualify, and families of four that earn up to $50,336 per year also may qualify.
WHEAP provides qualified residents with a one-time grant to help pay energy bills. Qualification is based on income levels, not on whether someone is behind on paying their energy bills.
- Photo ID for applicant, including name and address
- Proof of income for all household members for previous three months
- Social Security numbers for everyone in the household
- Current energy bill or account number
- Phone number of landlord and rent certificate or statement (if applicant is a renter and heat is included in rent or a separate payment is made to the landlord)
Customers with questions about their energy bills or payment options should call our payment assistance line at 800-842-4565.