The week's purpose is to emphasize the importance of safety near dams and on waterways to help prevent accidents. Most accidents at dams can be prevented by simply staying away from restricted areas and learning about the dangers associated with dams.
Safety precautions include:
- Obey all warning signs.
- Heed horns or sirens.
- Be aware of rapidly changing water conditions.
- Practice safe boating and swimming.
- Bring a cell phone and contact 911 in an emergency.
- Wear a personal flotation device (PFD), a life jacket.
- Always stay outside buoy lines and away from restricted areas near dams.
- Always have a safe escape route planned when near a dam. Be prepared to evacuate at the first sign of danger.
We Energies hydroelectric system