Here are five tips for more cost-effective comfort:
- Turn your thermostat down to 55 F when using your fireplace.
- Open a nearby window approximately 1 inch so the fireplace can draw cooler air from outside instead of warm air from inside your home.
- Install snug-fitting, well-sealed glass doors to limit the amount of room air that’s drawn in.
- Consider installing an energy-efficient fireplace insert, which can keep more heat in your home.
- Close the flue damper when your fireplace isn’t in use to keep warm air inside.
Find more energy-saving heating tips online.