To avoid meter problems:
- Always shovel away from meter.
- Take care when using snow thrower or plow near meter.
- Use a broom to clear snow and ice from equipment.
- Avoid kicking or hitting meter to break away built-up snow or ice.
- Remove icicles that may drip water onto meter.
Keeping furnace intake and exhaust vents clear of snow and ice is an important safety precaution to prevent build up of carbon monoxide inside homes and buildings. A blocked vent also can affect the performance of the furnace, which may not run properly or at all when the intake or exhaust vent is blocked.
As for natural gas meters, you may not think about that often, but we ask that you keep your meter clear of snow and ice for safety.
Accumulated snow and ice place stress on meter piping, which can damage equipment and cause a gas leak. Keeping the meter clear also allows our employees to properly service the meter in case of emergency and keeps it visible to snowplows when those meters are in close proximity to alleys or other areas subject to plowing.