Monday, September 28, 2015

We Energies work-study student and Civil War buff: Hilario Deleon

Hilario Deleon first visited We Energies to attend a scouting event as a young boy. Never did he imagine that just a few years later he would be working at the company.

The 14-year-old is one of four Milwaukee high school students taking part in a work-study program at We Energies. The students are part of the inaugural class of Cristo Rey Jesuit High School, which opened this summer. We Energies is one of 22 local businesses to partner with the school. Cristo Rey students spend one day a week at their work assignment and the other four days in the classroom.

Deleon admits he didn’t know much about Cristo Rey before enrolling. “The more I learned, the more I thought it would be a good opportunity,” said Deleon. “I took a chance, and I’m happy I took it.”

Deleon’s school year started early to prepare him for his job at We Energies. All Cristo Rey students attended an intensive, four-week business training camp in July. Following the camp, students got their work assignments for the school year. When Deleon found out he would be working in We Energies environmental department, he was thrilled. “I feel like I have the best job in my school!”

Part of Deleon’s time at We Energies is spent in the company’s environmental lab where technicians test samples from power plants to ensure compliance with environmental standards. “I feel strongly about protecting our environment,” said Deleon. “This position is a great fit for me.”

Outside of work and school, Deleon enjoys taking part in Civil War re-enactments. This summer, he participated in Grant encampments all over the state, bringing along his 1853 Enfield musket. Deleon calls himself a history buff and is considering becoming a professor someday. He also is an avid artist and enjoys drawing in his spare time.

Although his work-study program has only just begun, Deleon is already hoping to get re-assigned to We Energies. “I’m hoping to stay here all four years. The people are great, and I’m really enjoying my job.”



No comments: