Thursday, December 27, 2012

Meter reader helps customer avoid carbon monoxide problem

Debbora Oldenberg, a meter reader at our Burlington Service Center, was on her rounds recently when she noticed a foul odor in the neighborhood. She tracked the odor to the furnace exhaust at a residence and reported it.

Mike Middlecamp, one of our distribution fitters, arrived a short time later and found that the furnace was producing more than 10,000 parts per million (ppm) of carbon monoxide.

The customer was not home, so the fitter turned off the gas meter and left a note for the customer.

Later in the day, another distribution fitter returned to the home to check on the situation and found a contractor installing a new furnace.

Oldenberg’s actions and concern, and the follow through by our fitters may well have saved this customer’s life if that amount of carbon monoxide had leaked into the house.

No comments: