Thursday, May 24, 2012
Vacationing employee at right place, right time to assist after natural gas explosion
Mark Lochner, one of our senior safety consultants who works out of our Marshfield Gas Office, was visiting his sister in Waukee, Iowa, near Des Moines, when an explosion on May 22 caused the house across the street to lift off its foundation and burst into flames.
Before emergency rescue crews could respond, Lochner ran to his sister’s garage, grabbed a crescent wrench and cut off the natural gas supply at the meter. His quick response reduced the risk of further explosions or a larger fire. Lochner's decisive action allowed police to enter the building and rescue an elderly woman and her dog.
News coverage from TV13 Des Moines
Posted by We Energies at 11:07 AM